Friday, May 28, 2010

Recipe: Thai Green Curry

I love Thai food, but I have not been super successful recreating meals at home.  I have tried to make basil chicken and pad thai countless times, but they always come out tasting fishy.
The Thai Kitchen green curry recipe on the back of the coconut milk can only called for minimal fish sauce, so I thought I would give it a try.  As ussual, I modified the recipe slightly. 

The ingredients:

  • large chicken breast cut into bite size pieces

  • small yellow onion roughly chopped

  • 2 carrots

  • a few mushrooms

  • 1 can bamboo shoots

  • 14oz coconut milk

  • 1 tbls thai kitchen green curry paste

  • 1 cup chicken broth

  • 1/3 cup frozen peas

  • 1 cup dry brown rice
1) Simmer coconut milk and curry paste for 5 minutes
2) Add chicken, vegetables & chicken broth and simmer for 10 minutes, reduce heat to low and cook for additional 30 minutes.  I cooked this longer because I added in so many more vegetables and I wanted to make sure they were all tender.
3) Cook brown rice to package directions

This recipe was pretty easy and turned out tasty.  I wished it was spicier and ended up adding in some red pepper flakes, but I will probably add more curry paste next time. 

7 comments:

  1. yum! I love curry- this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! This curry looks wonderful!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green curry is one of my fav's. Might I suggest an even better brand of green curry paste?? Maybe you've tried it...if you have an Asian grocery store in your city, look for Mae Ploy brand. It's fantastic! Not that the Thai Kitchen brand is bad, it's not, it's great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jessica - I haven't tried it. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you should get some sriracha -that'll spice it right up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This curry looks great! I love it when food items have recipes on them - it makes it so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey, just read your comment about too many radishes. I haven't tried this, but I read a few recipes online this past winter about baking radishes. I don't know if it's any good, but you may want to look some up and give it a try?

    ReplyDelete