Thursday, May 27, 2010

Superfood: Sweet Potato

Sweet potatoes are one of the most nutritious vegetables.  They are high in fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium and manganese.  Americans generally do not get enough orange vegetables (pumpkins, sweet potatoes, carrots).  We really should have a serving every day! 

I love baked sweet potatoes.  Unlike baked regular potatoes, they don't need a ton of toppings because they have more flavor on their own. 

When we have chili (and an hour to bake a sweet potato) I eat it in a baked SP.  This means every football Sunday I am getting my vitamin B6!

This past weekend, I decided to try a new way to include sweet potatoes in my diet.  Sweet potato home fries.  These were delicious!  I started with Paula Dean's recipe and modified it. 



  • 2 medium sweet potatoes (cubes)

  • 1 small onion (diced)

  • 2 tbls olive oil

  • salt and pepper

  1. Boil sweet potatoes for 6 minutes and drain

  2. Heat olive oil in frying pan and saute onions for 2 to 3 minutes on medium high heat.

  3. Add sweet potatoes to onions and season with sale & pepper.  Saute for 5 minutes or so. 

  4. Enjoy!
My husband is super picky about vegetables.  But I have found a way where even he will eat them.  Sweet potato chips. 
To make these, slice the sweet potato very thin, a mandolin would probably make it easier.  Then drizzle a little olive oil on the sweet potatoes and rub the oil all over.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 10-15 minutes or until crisp.  I have cooked these at a variety of temperatures, based on whatever else I was cooking.  I think 400 is probably ideal.

7 comments:

  1. yum, I love sweet potatoes and those look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I liked sweet potatoes. These look delicious. Well, except for the chili ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is your doggy a golden? They're my favorite! We're getting one in a few months and I'm so excited. I love sweet potatoes. They're amazing no matter what you put on them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I too am a lover of thai and sweet potatoes! Yuuum. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Linday - he was a rescue so we aren't 100% sure, but he looks and acts like a golden. They are the best dogs. You will have so much fun with him/her when you get them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh do I ever love sweet potatoes, prepped any way! It's funny because growing up I REFUSED to touch them because I thought they were so gross. Now I can't live without them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. god i love sweet potatoes. they can do no wrong!

    ReplyDelete