Monday, May 10, 2010

Newleaf Organic Produce Box


I have been trying to buy more fruits and vegetables in an effort too eat more fruits and vegetables.  I know brilliant idea. 

I stumbled on an organic food store by Loyola University called Newleaf Natural Grocery.  They offer produce boxes in various sizes for $15, $25.5, or $35.  You can get fruit or veggie boxes or a combo box.  This is similar to the CSA produce delivery service a friend of mine uses, except I have to go pick it up.  They also sell groceries, but I really like the box program. 

I have been getting the $25 box with both fruit and veggies for the past few weeks.  You do have to order the box ahead of time and the items are a surprise.  I get a good variety of items and usually there is something out of the ordinary that helps me branch out and try new things.  I pick up my goodies on Saturday and enjoy them all week long. 

This is what was in the box this week:
  • Peaches (5)
  • Mangoes (3)
  • Braeburn apples (3)
  • Bananas (4)
  • Bunch of radishes (local)
  • Watercress (local)
  • Scallions (local)
  • Broccoli (2 heads)
  • Red leaf lettuce (huge head)
Not in the box, but also purchased at Newleaf:
  • Strawberries
  • Eggplant
I'm not really sure what to do with the watercress.  It looks like I could probably just put it in a salad, but I will have to google some recipe ideas. 

Any suggestions on how to use Watercress?

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to grow healthy with you. =) I started weight watchers again today & I got my bike fixed this weekend.

    Your box o' fruits & veggies looks fun!

    ReplyDelete