Thursday, June 10, 2010

Garden Thieves

There are thieves in my garden!  Stealing my strawberries. 
I know they are delicious, but birdies beaks off!  The birds are getting several strawberries, but they 100% stay away from the one planted in the pot on my deck.  I think my son and/or dog have scared them away.  Plus there are so many in the garden, they don't need to venture close to the house.  I have been thinking about getting a second pot for the deck. 
Even with the thieving birds, I am getting lots and lots of strawberries.  It is honestly shocking to me.  Last year I really only got one or two berries every few days.  This crop was pulled in one day!  Two days later I pulled another handful out.  
My husband thinks it is great.  He thinks we can freeze them, so he can use them in his tea and we wont have to buy frozen strawberries.  I don't think he realizes how wonderful fresh strawberries are and that most will end up like this:
And devoured within 30 minutes of being picked! 

Gardening is so much fun!  This is my second year and we are getting so much wonderful produce.  If you have never gardened before don't be intimidated.  The worst that could happen is the plants die, but you could end up with tons of tasty fruits or veggies!

Do you have any suggestions on how to keep birds away from berries?

5 comments:

  1. I would be tempted to steal those strawberries. Mm. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh those strawberries look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know nothing about gardening. I attempted to grow dill and parsley this year. Key word, attempt.

    My friend Caroline might know, though! She just started a gardening blog. She's super smart when it comes to growing veggies and other plants.

    http://ahappygarden.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous of your fresh strawberries!

    I have the same problem with squirrels digging up our flowers. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for keeping the birds away!

    ReplyDelete